View Single Post
Old 2008-07-01, 18:34   Link #16
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
This whole German and Greek thing got me doing some research and I found a few interesting things. So Clovis and Schneizel are the ones with German names and they both have blond hair. There are blonds in germany but more so in the North. ABout the Roman and greek connections I also found out that in Germany has been overrun often by "foreign tribes" especially in the past. Many of which were Roman or Greek(Roman Soldiers or a Slave from Greece). Maybe that has something to do with their Britanian lineage, I'm not sure, just thought it was interesting.
Yep. The Western Romans (after becoming an Empire and then dividing) were especially dead set on assimilating the Germanic cultures into theirs. They even redid their pagan religion entirely for the sake of the incoming Germanic population just so that it'd be easier for them to accept and adapt to the "Roman" way of life.

Reflecting on it, I am still slightly surprised that several of the names belonging to the Britannian lineage derive from such a variety of cultures assuming that the foundation of the Empire of Britannia (having been founded as a union to fight off the Republic of Rome's invasion and Julius Caesar) was almost purely Celtic in origin. Perhaps over time they inevitably became exposed to their neighbors in continental europe even though they themselves were never subjected under Roman rule...

Actually, looking more towards the future, (1066 AD our time) the Normans still could've won the Battle of Hastings and ultimately "Romanized" the previously purely Celtic Britannia. That would explain the variety of given names the Britannians seem to have. It wouldn't interrupt any of the more canonized history of Britannia either as the England we know of during the Napoleonic Wars (we know that in the CG universe British genius Horatio Nelson was actually bested) was the same England that got overwhelmed by the Normans. The Normans just ultimately settled down and Britannia began to develop a number of aspects from the romance cultures. Names is definitely up there, but not before vocabulary.

The above piece of history is why British and American English seem to incorporate a lot of its vocabulary from the Latin-derived Romance languages and its root Anglo-Saxon language. I think English seems to have one of the most extensive vocabularies in the world.

Putting it into perspective like this is truly confusing though; but if there is anyone else who would like to help me out piece these little tidbits of history together to fit into the CG's Britannia, I would very much appreciate it.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote