View Single Post
Old 2008-07-04, 01:44   Link #45
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Well Dragonaut is quite an interesting one, at a glance I thought only people who enjoyed large breast woman would be considering their main audience yet alot of people watches it.
You DO realize that Dragonaut is probably the worst series made by a major studio of, perhaps, the last decade, right? Right? I mean, the people watching it might simply be doing it because of the "it's so bad it's good" appeal. Though it didn't have that for me (I would watch Musashi Gandou because I'm sure it's a parody, but I can't say the same of Dragonaut, unfortunately).

Gonzo has been in a downwards spiral for some years now. The last thing I enjoyed (and quite a bit) from them was NHK, but that was probably more due to the original material than for anything else--even though it was well handled, except perhaps in those episodes which appeared to be missing key animators (episode 4, for example). I still can't believe how so many people keep on ignoring the dwindling quality of Last Exile in episodes 9 ~ 16, even if the series was worthwhile in the end. Gankutsuou was a masterpiece, and I really give them props for that... but they didn't release anything as stunning since then. With things like Dragonaut, I feel they weren't even trying. In that series, CG, which used to be Gonzo's forte, was horrible, even when the 2D art seemed to have a decent amount of bucks thrown at it. When compared to other major studios like IG or Bones, and studios that are quietly growing on me like Brains-Base, they lose out big time. The only major studios that "pander to the otaku demographic", as you put it, are probably Sunrise and JC Staff, but they do it well (even though I have my qualms about JC).

Since the two first episodes of Druaga, I have refrained from watching anything else from them. Unless there's too much of a buzz from people I can somewhat relate to when it comes to tastes, or unless the series' summary is too good to be true, I won't even bother with their series.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-04 at 10:24.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote