View Single Post
Old 2003-11-18, 17:21   Link #12
sonar

Quote:
You're surprised by this?

Did you really think that everyone was just going to get along and play nice? Of course there will always be people who do things such as this. Then again, people who do these kinds of things get theirs in the end.
Heh, I'm guessing he was, but I was surprised too, I can tell you for a fact that we don't do this at least to our knowledge(and yes we've had "offers" from "teams" to "help" us out >_<). There are such things as legal bots (people with excess bandwidth from their server, isp owners, uni kids etc.)

Quote:
I'm sure they also pay for all that bandwith they use. I think not. Most likely it's stolen from university, but if they didn't have all this stolen bandwith then it would take us years to get stuff. The whole fansub scene is going to hell in a handbasket.
Now edu leeching, within reason, I don't have a problem with for a few reasons. One, you're entitled to edu internet usage as a student, and the university can revoke certain access if they wish. Universities rent lines, meaning amount of bandwidth isn't really as much of a problem as speed, which results in sick amounts of bandwidth available. I do have a problem with say, hacking an .edu server to serve your stuff, but just setting up a pc and hooking it up to the edu connection I don't.
sonar is offline   Reply With Quote