View Single Post
Old 2008-08-05, 13:31   Link #1065
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfine View Post
Nobody can understand your thought processes. But your motivations are as clear as day.
Oh, really? And what are they?

Quote:
Right. Because a 30 year old man with a 16 year old girl is all that different from a 30 year old man with a 17 year old girl.
No, but a 30 year old man dating Ranka is different from a 30 year old man dating Sheryl.

Quote:
And you yourself pointed out that the age of consent is not the same thing as the age of majority. So this is just something I'd file under "Ranka's choice".
It's not a matter of legality. It's a matter of "Do I really trust her to make that kind of choice?". In Ranka's case, the answer is "not really". In Sheryl's it "yes".

If you want to answer differently, that's your privilege. Good luck arguing that Ranka is every bit as mature as Sheryl.

Quote:
Your argument uses a double standard. (What delicious irony)
Damn right it does. Ranka and Sheryl are different, so I treat them differently. We're not a bunch of lawmakers arguing over age of consent laws. I'm saying "I don't want to see Ranka date Leon". But notice I don't protest against it terribly much on the grounds of "It's wrong! Wrong, I tell you, for a girl so young to date someone so old!". On that subject, I'm more "Eh. Doesn't feel right."

Quote:
It's not like Ranka's working relationship with Leon is especially close, either. She gets all of her orders from Grace, after all. In fact, she spends less time on the job around Leon than she does Alto.
Again, there is a difference between being one's subordinate against being merely colleagues. That is the major difference between her relationship with Alto and her relationship with Leon. The one that, to me, spells "wrong". The reason I added that bit about closeness is that I do have reserves against close colleagues dating. It can get weird, especially after a break up. But note, they're merely reserves. As long as they're responsible adults and pros, I think it's up to them to decide and take their responsibilities.

Quote:
Actually, I said that you'd fiercely fight against it on the grounds of "fairness" or it being "inappropriate" or some nonsense like that. Much like you're doing right now.
Saying "it feels a bit icky" is not fighting it "fiercely". I'm explaining my reasons, because you accuse me of being irrational and unfair.

Also, note: there's a difference between "I don't like it" and "it's wrong".