View Single Post
Old 2008-10-24, 22:06   Link #5
Falkor

eh…

I’m having serious troubles to like, understand, or even sympathize with this anime version of Taiga. It’s somehow strange because manga Taiga and novel Taiga are probably my favorite versions of this dreadful archetype. While the anime is actually making a good depiction of Taiga’s behavior/personality, I simply can’t find, or even remember, anything of what I loved about her counterparts in the source material—either I missed something in the novel/manga, or her character has been lost in translation.

For starters, Rie Kugimiya… she has one of those voices that can shatter glass without too much effort, especially when it comes to her tsundere roles. This time around, well, is all the same with the tsundere, but slightly different to convey the little details that can make a “huge” distinction with her closest cousins. Add it to her “violence-upgrade” and it becomes even more difficult to like this "new" version of Taiga.

But, but… my greatest complaint lies exactly on the very fact I still don’t know anything about her—her background, motives, and the likes. Her characterization has not been very effective in this sense, in order to illustrate her issues and situations in more detail. And instead, the character has remained static when it was supposed to change (or let's just say improve) as result of the second episode, the moment Ryuuji vows to stay with Taiga. (was this really what it attempted to convey? not really sure of this either)...