View Single Post
Old 2009-02-21, 14:32   Link #238
lars18th

I hope this helps whoever is watching the fansubbed anime especially the Makie episodes. I am not sure if its an editing, translation problem or maybe both but a key element of Makie's past is not clearly explained.
This is not at all a spoiler, actually I believe not reading it, takes away from the original story:
Makie is the daughter of a samurai family. During childhood, her older brother is picked as the heir of the family dojo (for being a male) but during a friendly skirmish event, Makie beats the brother 3 times in a row. On the third rematch she beats him with a single strike.
Ashamed of the flawless defeat to his younger sister, the brother commits suicide to uphold his honor, thus leaving no successor to the family name.
The hateful father then expels Makie from the family but her mom decides to leave with her. The mother becomes a prostitue in order to make ends meet and Makie grows up hating her father for what he has done.
I believe the other details are explaind in the anime. I hope this helps whoever is watching the show.