View Single Post
Old 2009-03-26, 10:41   Link #186
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Because clearly it is not. It's not as if their lives are over or the only and biggest event of their lives has reached the curtain call. They're barely at the end of their teens. Kitamura might be going to the US, Ryuuji might go to college, Ami might go into modelling again, Kushieda might go to sports college, and the list goes on. I emphasize the word "might" because... well... can anyone say with any degree of certainty?

And that's exactly what this ending is. The future is not over, it is not yet determined, it is not destined. Rather than give an all-for-all conclusion, it gives us just a brief hint of the possible future. We see varying hints of the future of if's and maybe's.

As for me, with Clannad and Toradora over, withdrawal symptoms should start manifesting in the next 4 days.
We've had hints of every character's future except Taiga's since she literally "threw it out the window". I agree, it's been a lovely journey and life goes on, but I think a lot of us have become somewhat attached to the characters and would not mind having a couple more hints, or even a little peek at their lives one year later (OVA!). It's always reassuring to be told: "yes, life goes on but there are always a few things that will never change". After all, it's natural to think of change with a degree of fear and regret, isn't it? (Clannad...)

True, in real life, things literally begin anew at every stage. I'm almost living a new life in university, totally disconnected from my experiences and friends in high school. We aren't in touch, can't relate to one another, and don't even think of each other anymore. I had a girlfriend in high school and, in our naïveté, we "promised" to stay together. Guess what, just half a year later and half a world apart, I couldn't be bothered with that silly relationship anymore.

That's exactly why I'm a bit anxious for more closure. I'm not complaining about the story or ending: I'm not dissatisfied (the ending was marvellous, IMO), just anxious. Again, all I'd like is some reassurance that in spite of life going on, in spite of things changing, that "gentle and sweet and hard-to-find thing" will ultimately prevail.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-03-26 at 10:59.