View Single Post
Old 2009-04-09, 09:05   Link #5
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
First we open a discussion that allows the industry to explain the nature of the business and the reasons certain things are just the way they are. Also allow them to put may of the
If it's not out of place, maybe you could ask them to touch on the whole dubbing thing, not 'should it be done' but why they do it the way they do it. In contrast to how its done in Japan. This is one of the things that absolutely confounds me (and pleanty of other fans) about the local industry. I know ADV's dubs are pretty much gone, Clannad was sub-only, but the commentary extras only helped to confirm the folly. As far as I know, Funi, others, still follow this dubbing process... not to discuss it anymore here as it's already discussed elsewhere, but that's a 'nature of the business' thing I'd be real keen to hear more about.

Quote:
assumptions that people carry about pricing, distribution, licensing, and so on. We've had a ton
Keep it current, a lot has changed in the last few years.

Quote:
that direction. Right now, as it stands, we are still 99% looked upon as a thorn in their collective side. The majority do not trust us to be civil enough during such a panel to even be worth their
That's why you need to look for ones that are, rather than just let anyone up there and have the discussion turn rabid... last thing anyways wants, did a good job in this respect so far.

Quote:
They have one fact about us 100% correct. We are pirates, period. But what they have forgotten over the years is that we are a much friendlier type of pirate that in general is not out
Not a productive line of discussion...

Quote:
of the formats that the industry later comes to use, and we have an insane amount of "research" data as well as methods and solutions to issues they will and in some cases right now are running in to.
I think right now it's not just 'us', but the whole legal/illegal streaming thing for instance, on the fansubber side are actual groups putting their stuff on streaming sites by choice or are third parties putting them there? At the same time you have the industry moving some titles exclusively to streaming sites, which are region-limited, and not even putting out DVDs, basically turning their backs on a whole class on fans, and on the clubs that show live anime. Even DVDs are region limited, while fansubbing distribution is worldwide, even back to japan in some cases...

Quote:
Back to the topic of which companies we will be inviting. I do not want to release a list just yet
ADV perhaps? I'd like to hear a little about what happened there, but maybe that is better left to another (their own) panel rather than a problem-solving one.

Pretty much all I have to say right now.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote