View Single Post
Old 2009-04-10, 07:10   Link #11
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
First we open a discussion that allows the industry to explain the nature of the business and the reasons certain things are just the way they are. Also allow them to put may of the assumptions that people carry about pricing, distribution, licensing, and so on. We've had a ton of time to talk about "our side", we understand our side very well. However, many people do not fully understand the constraints the industry side has placed upon itself, myself included.

Once we know more about that we can, as we have shown many times in the past to be capable of doing, begin to find solutions that are outside of the box but within the power of the anime companies to take advantage of for their benefit as well as our own.
First,
If I can quickly rehash some of the points discussed elsewhere:

While I'm also not privy to what goes on in the business side of things, I think you may need to raise some of the issues yourselves depending on how frank the industry people are in the discussion though (and the reason I bring up alternatives for a more equitable solution). For example, Lance of Funi has mentioned before about buying DVDs to "reward the creators". Well, this is absolutely not the case now. I think some people would find the lack of royalties to creators surprising. Essentially there is a large disconnect between creators and rights holders, who are comprised of different business entities.

On the other, if you buy the downloads of Time of Eve from CR, I dunno.. maybe some of it does go to Yasuhiro Yoshiura.. Certainly when you buy a ¥500 doujin or a ¥1000 CD from Comiket, all of that's going straight to the creators

Now if one argues that you're compensating the investors (production committees and sponsors) who put up a lot of money to pay for the project--which is a fair, up to a point--there's the issue of how little of that money invested is used to actually make (and pay the staff for) the anime, like 16% in the typical case.

For previous discussions on these topics, see here, here, and here
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote