View Single Post
Old 2009-05-16, 21:39   Link #66
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
That's just it. Some of the people "disputing" the usage of the word do so because they are not aware of this "entirely different meaning" such a word might have, when in use - in whatever context - by japanese people. So, your stance does come out a bit rude, if I may say so.
Well, sorry for that, it really wasn't my intention to offend anyone. But it's true--assuming that a completely different culture works the same way as yours is kinda silly (*). Pretending to understand anime without trying to understand the Japanese society is even more silly.

(*): I was actually more concerned about people implying that the anime was using a definition that is different from real life. Which is completely pointless, since if it would have been that way they wouldn't have used the word at all, and would have invented a term themselves.

Quote:
Nevertheless, what's so different? Does it not mean a person who is Not in Education, Employment or Training, there? Because I was under the impression it did - and there's no age limit there, either, as you can clearly read.
The term was born in the UK specifically to address people between 16 and 18. Calling it People Between 16 And 18 Not in Education, Employment or Training wouldn't have caught on

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.