Thread: Licensed X TV Series
View Single Post
Old 2009-06-12, 03:43   Link #29
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Wow, I just finished X and it BLEW me away. I am surprised at the lack of love for this title!

I don't know how X flew under my radar for so long, but I love the creativity. Giving birth to an organic sword by exploding in blood? How awesome is that!?

I love the goth emo vibe and the flawless animation, and the music is awesome. I've seen about 200 titles, so I still have a lot to go, but this one has made quite an impression on me.

The whole thing just worked, with all its quirks (like random lickings of blood o_O) and I think this is perhaps the best ensemble cast I've come across, not because they all have big or unique personalities or the fact the good guys fail almost all the time, but because they have mundane conversations before and during their battles and because their filler side stories and backgrounds were fun. I've never seen a group so intent on going with the flow, just waiting for things to happen, but somehow, I don't hate them for it.

There's this odd underlying layer of perversion that somehow permeates the tragic goth vibe, with scenes like telekenetically stripping your adopted clone son naked and dissolving his blood so that it could coagulate into your wounded body and renew you. And, elements like having a prostitute with a religious background. Awesome? I think so!

Although, I kinda wanted to see a series that chooses to not save the world, just for once. I thought this series might really have been one that wouldn't shy away from destroying the world, since the whole series just felt so damn lonely, but I guess saving the world = happy ending = more satisfying.

I don't subscribe to that theory, though.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote