View Single Post
Old 2009-07-25, 05:50   Link #432
sento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
I have lots of questions that I hope are answered as I continue to read the visual novels. I still need to scrounge up the money to buy episode 4 so it might be awhile. In my opinion one of the most annoying characters in the series, for me, is Battler. Maybe it's because I tend to lead towards the magical side of things, so I do believe that Beatrice exists and she was the reason for the deaths on Rokkenjima. The way he tried to explain his thinking seemed to be pretty weak; just saying that a human was in charge of it even though he had no real proof.

Although he did make a good point saying that automatically believing a Witch was the cause because they didn't want to think a human did it was also absurd, as a new viewer I can't think of any other logical explanation of how those deaths occured. Also, if I hear the phrase "Turning the chessboard around..." one more time, I'm going to be cracking some skulls.
Well, the whole point of the series is if you can face against the folklore and delusions of the witch or you surrender to it. If you're surrendering right now, without any real evidence that it was indeed a witch... You talk about how Battler reasoning was pretty weak, but Beatrice reasoning was equally weak. Nor Battler nor Beatrice have real proof at this moment. Now, this will be a battle of mystery vs. fantasy. This is only the setting of their duel.

Even so, think of it this way. If Beatrice is the real source of the deaths, and magic is the answer to everthing... then the story and premise of Umineko don't make any sense for the beginning, right? "A witch did it", after all.

Last edited by sento; 2009-07-25 at 06:00.