View Single Post
Old 2009-09-19, 04:39   Link #64
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Totally disagree with this. Because in my opinion, even if some parts of it looked like a slide show but this series still has one of the best visual in this season. The fighting scene was awesome too. It's nothing I can see in average animation anime.
I don't entirely disagree with that. Because when they DO decide to animate it, it's eyepopping and very nicely done. But they relegate most of that to the OP scenes and a very few scenes overall. Also, some of the fights and major events, looking at it pragmatically and objectively, were NOT even animated. That's a pretty hefty animation gaffe as I see it. When crucial events are not animated, that almost angered me at times. I was more confused than angry really. Exactly because when they DO animate it, they know how to make it visually appealing by animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
I remembered Oshii Mamoru (or is it Hosoda Mamoru?) says something like "people nowadays cares more about picture moving than overall balance in the anime."
Which is very sad to me that some directors actually think that. Because they are overlooking what makes animation as a medium unique and appealing. It does not surprise me since a lot of Oshii's movies has the infamous 'TALKING HEADS' type of animation. In Sky Crawlers or Ghost in the Shell movies, outside the action parts, where most of the movie lies in idling characters talking, it's usually very slight movements with ENTIRE SPEECHES filling up the timeslot. Needless to say, I'm pretty torn over Oshii's anime 'accomplishments', because he can do good work if he puts some more thought over actually animating things instead of the whole talking heads + Basset Hound Fetish.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote