View Single Post
Old 2009-09-30, 03:27   Link #16
james0246

I was a little bored, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Do you all view God as a single entity (monotheistic) that is conscious of itself and what it has created?
Hard to say (is that an understatement, or is that an understatement). Since you are using the loaded term "God", that does imply some amount of consciousness (as well as omnipotent and omniscience (inherent or total)) and singularity is required.

In the end, if there is a God, then I see no reason why it should be confined to one specific entity. It would make more sense for a God to be everything and nothing, or something equally undefinable.

Quote:
Do you view the universe as having many Gods (ala Greek and Roman Gods)?
No. I see no reason for such a theism to exist. It simply complicates and hinders the discussion.

Then again, something like Dualism can explain "good" and "evil" far better than any current monotheistic interpretation.

Quote:
Do you think man was created in God's image?
I doubt God has a specific form, so no our shape and form does not directly equal God's. That being said, if God is trully everything and nothing, then, of course, human form is part of God anyway, so yes humans would be shapped in God's image.

Quote:
Or is God some kind of life force, some energy that is source of creation and perhaps the big bang?
Makes a hell of a lot more sense than having a singular entity...that is, if it exists at all.

Quote:
Is your God tangible, or is he some corporeal existence that is omnipotent?
I can't say I have ever directly touched or interacted with anything tangible or intangible that necessarily indicated the pressence of God. Then again, it's hard to say that I haven't either, especially if God is everything and nothing...

Quote:
Or do you all simply consider God to be some concept that is utterly unconceivable by man in any such matter to the point that it is something that exists, but we cannot really be concerned with due to a lack of understanding?
Bingo. If God is God, then God cannot be defined by human words, beliefs, or understanding. It is only when God becomes "god", and "he" sets forth objectives and other nonsensical criteria for existence, that God loses its Godliness. Specifically, God's power is limited by analyzing it in regards to human understanding (good and evil, love and hate, etc are all used to interpret and change God into "god").

If something called God does exist, then it is like nothing we can conceive, so trying to limit it by what we can conceive is ultimately pointless.

That being said, I find myself not old enough to fear death, and not young enough to go out of my way to care about the possible exsistence of God. In a few years time, as my mortality comes to forfront of my mind (and faith becomes a more interesting concept), I will probably turn to these questions again to find some sort of personal answer, but currently, the universe and my exsistence being mysterious makes for a damn good time and a fun ride.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-09-30 at 03:40.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote