Old 2009-09-30, 04:13   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I view the universe as containing many forces, each with different levels of "intent" (e.g. humans have "intent", a swirl of breeze much less so). Calling them "gods" seems to confuse monotheistic believers - you don't worship these entities so much as simply respect or acknowledge them. One could easily call it playful anthropomorphism or animism. That's one reason I resist translating "kami" as "god(s)".
You do realize that you have the *same* scientific-lacking position? (It can't be proved nor disproved.)
Hmmm, I can see and show others a breeze in the wind, or a storm, a bolt of lightning, a gamma ray strike, a dust-devil. Specific concrete instantiations of forces. Since I myself have intent, the simplest deduction is that anything that moves has "intent" (though of varying complexity or sophistication). That's about as deep as it gets... and I don't pretend its scientific or even accurate, its just a colorful poetic metaphor to describe the results of natural forces. I could argue that many humans lack much more "intent" than an eddy in a river current or a tornado. They're certainly about as transient a phenomena as those. They arise, exist for a while, and then cease to be.