View Single Post
Old 2009-10-12, 03:03   Link #1171
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think the 5 letters turn into 6 has to do something with a の. Remember the whole deal about Golden Land, and Land of Gold? I think the の there may play a key factor.

All the same, I've got to admit I've been passing on trying to work out the epitaph, since I'm sure it relies a lot on Japanese wordplays, references, and perhaps common knowledge, which I'm not knowledgeable of. So, I don't know if that's actually a key, or just a vague interpretation of mine.

Even so, I'm wondering what's the exact purpose of the epitaph. As of now, it's been solved twice. The first time, only 2 people knew about it. During the second time, everyone on the island was aware of it. However, in both situations the murders were still carried out. Sure, during the second time, the murders weren't carried as well as the first time the epitaph was solved, but the fact is they still happened. So, what's to gain from it, other than gold? Beatrice doesn't gain anything from it being solved, apparently. What's there for the people in Rokkenjima to win from it, I wonder? Lambda said it was possible to prevent the murders, but just solving the epitaph didn't do it. I wonder if there's something else to it.
I agree that it's very important that we try to figure the epitaph out and Jan-Poo probably has made the best attempt on this board. However, solving the epitaph won't stop the murders like you said. My theory is that the mastermind is also an entity that can appear in the meta world but for the first five episodes has only been an observer regarding the meta world discussions.

Here's what I think happened and what I think will happen:

Spoiler for Games theory:

-Lambdadelta and Beatrice have always been on the anti-mystery side.
-Bernkastel is on the anti-fantasy side but is the worst teammate of all time. Episode 1: "I'll be your ally Battler", Episode 2: "This dude sucks"(Does nothing to help), Episode 3: "I'll take care of this shit by myself"(Brings in Ange), Episode 4: "ha, you thought I cared about anything else besides winning? Trolled.", Episode 5: "I'll make a fake trial, humiliate some innocent person, and claim victory when I've actually proven nothing".
-I think Battler is anti-mystery now and will be for the rest of the way. He realizes that not everything can be explained as a mystery and doesn't deny the fantasy.

I think at the end of episode 6 (if it turns out how I think it will and Battler ends up losing to Bernkastel and Erika) the mastermind behind the murders will appear as a dark silhouette in the meta world and challenge Bernkastel. Bernkastel loses in episode 7 but Lamdadelta decides to revive Beatrice to help Battler take down the mastermind for beating Bern. Battler learns who Beatrice really is and who the mastermind really is in episode 7. In the final episode with Beatrice's help Battler is able to remember his sin and confront the mastermind prior to any murder. Tragedy avoided.