View Single Post
Old 2009-12-23, 01:53   Link #90
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
You know what I want to know?

1. What's the maximum size of the object that Mikoto can use in a railgun attack?

She is shown to only use coins from what I know. Is this just a personal preference? Easy access to said object? Or a limit with her power? I would think that she could use ball bearings which tend to be of higher densities then coins and thus would be more destructive. I've watched a few videos of real Rail guns. Full size military prototype rail guns are shown to fire much much larger things. On par with brick sized objects. Also, spherical objects are more aero dynamic and less drag. It would also be easier to toss said object into air and flick it properly in the way that she does it. The coins are narrow in width and if she doesn't catch the coin in the right position, there's a chance of a misfire.

2. Is the cool coin flip she does before the attack just for show or does it have any functional purpose to her attack?

The coin flip did prove to be a fail point in her attempt to stop the frog toy from exploding in the episode with the graviton case. Altered gravity near the object cause the coin to fall towards the object and thus Mikoto did not expect this. (and hence the failed attack). Though if she was good with physics she should have known that graviton induced implosion of a stuffed toy might produce an gravitational field in excess to that of Earth's natural field. Thus she could have corrected for it. But yet she didn't.....

It begs to question why she needs to do it in a emergency situation like with the frog toy incident. It leads me to believe she has to do something like that for the attack to work. From what I know about real rail guns, the object has to have a starting velocity before launched. But this is because the object would cause damage to the rails (the part that gives rail guns their name) and in some cases even get welded to the rails if not already moving.

Obvoisely the actual "rail" for Mikoto is either her hand and/or arm. Thus the projectile does not need a initial starting velocity as there is no solid surface guiding it. The coin never makes contact with anything except her fingers during the attack. There is nothing to produce friction or weld the projectile to during the launch. :P

3. How many consecutive shots can she take in a certain time frame?

That is all!

Last edited by Apache Thunder; 2009-12-23 at 02:08.
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote