View Single Post
Old 2004-08-11, 17:09   Link #32
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
A) Anti Grav tanks - Fire prisms owning the game at all? If vehicles are big, i assume eldar would have a good time.

B) Avatar? Looks SO cool...abilities?

C) Bloodthirster? Best melee unit in tabletop...how does he stand up in dow?

D) Terminators...I've always loved terminators. They got nerfed a few years ago in tabletop to 2+ on D6 from 3+ on 2D6...so are they super powerful? Assault cannon?

E) How do you suppose they'll fix orcs? Dreadful range power in both tabletop and dow it seems.
A.Oddly enough,that was the case if you massed Fire Prisms.Thing about Fire Prism is that they were made Tank/Artillery hybrids:They had the range of a tank and was accurate as one,but thier gun could scatter infantry like an artillery weapon.I suppose it was intended as a Whirlwind/Predator combo but in reality that meant that the only other counter against them(Anti-tank infantry) was rendered ineffective because the infantry would be tossed around like rag dolls.They were less effective against vehicles,and had less HP,but the fact that you could have ten of them if you had an avatar meant that they could kill the equivalent amount of predators the other guy could could have,and that's a problem indeed.

B.Avatar is,tied with the squiggoth,one of the two toughest units in the game HP wise.Unlike the Bloodthirster he doesn't lose health while in combat,could do the equivalent amount of damage per attack,and attack can add to the unit cap.However unlike the bloodthirster you can't fly with an avatar,and the element of surprise you can get with a bloodthirster is lost with an avatar

C.Bloodthirster,HP wise is slightly less than the avatar(mid 7k health),and can only do the same amount of damage.That,combined with the fact that he looses health while not in combat may seem bad at first,but the Bloodthirster has the advantage of being able to fly short distances,just like the Eldar grav tanks,which means you can easily throw him behind enemy lines .He also has the element of surprise with him because while the avatar and squiggoth have to built right at thier base,the Bloodthirster is built,but you now have to option to posess any single Chaos lord,Chaos Sorceror,AND every Chaos Aspiring champion at your disposal.That means that you can easily sneak a cultist squad with an aspiring champion to the enemy base using infiltrate,and turn the aspiring champion into a bloodthrister there

D.Terminators are very powerful.They aren't "Super units" per se because they're considered lower end relic units(Land Raider is the other Space Marine Relic unit).But you can have multiple squads of them,which makes them very useful.They come in two variations,Terminators and Assault Terminators,with the former having power fists and the ability to get some heavy weapons(assault cannons and something else,I can't remember for some reason) and the latter having Thunder hammers,which can stun an enemy.They're basically the counter to Chaos Oblit squads.

E.The Achilles heel of orks is that they require a lot of WWAAGGGHHH banners to be built before they can have lots of orks.These WWWAGGGHHH banners have guns,as all Ork buildings do,but they're expensive in the early game,you need a lot of them,and they're cost goes up according to how many you already have just like with Listening posts.They fix the WWAAGGGHHH problem and the Ork situation will be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
A.) My friend played the Elder, the WraithLord's OWNED, he made 3 and wiped out the computer, they are EXTREMELY powerful, D-Cannon kinda sucks.

B.) Out of all the "super units" The Avatar has the weakest attack, and I think health, he regenerates REALLY fast though.

C.) Bloodthurster is a monster, but seems to lose health when you're idle, but when its killing it seems to stop.

D.) No played Space Marines so I don't know, LOL.

E.) They need bigger mobs.
You must have been playing an older build

A.Wraithlords are now the weakest walker unit,with I believe about the same health or slightly less health than a defiler,but without a defiler's artillery capability.They also are higher up in the techtree I believe,because of the new "Mobilize for war" research that Eldar needs to research before they can build wraithlords.Oh,and D cannons do not suck

B.Avatars no longer regenerate.

C.Yes.

D.Question answered already

E.Nah,it's the WWWAAGGGHHH towers.Orks already can have a lot more units than any other race.100 orks vs 20/20 cap means more orks

Quote:
The main issue with both is that the "fancy" kills they do take time, for example, impaling a ork on the avatar's sword and watching his body slide down it may look awesome, but it takes time, and only hits a single unit giving others time to attack.
The Devs have already looked into this problem and they say that ALL animations take about 8 seconds to do.Besides,some Finishing moves often damage more than one unit.