View Single Post
Old 2010-01-15, 14:29   Link #907
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The thing about the TV series was it was too heavy-handed. Suspension of disbelief, for me, was utterly shattered because every goddamned character was beyond fucked up to such a point where it stopped feeling real.

I got to the point where I was just laughing hysterically every time something bad happened to Shinji. He's an unbelievably amped-up Cosmic Plaything, to the point where it's just not realistic.

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to.
This was my main problem with NGE.

NGE was a good anime, but I think that it suffered a bit from the lack of an important "control" character or two, as you said. In fact, I would say that the lack of such a "control" character actually undermined Anno's goals with Shinji, Rei, and Asuka (i.e. to use them to critique popular anime archetypes).

Spoiler for 1995 Eva spoiler:

Perhaps part of the reason why Rei didn't come across the way that Anno wanted her to is because there wasn't a female teenage character in the anime that, through comparison, could serve to highlight the neuroses and emotional issues with Rei.

Asuka, of course, had her own issues.