View Single Post
Old 2010-02-23, 13:37   Link #175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
As hard as it is for me to believe, I'm actually overweight. My BMI is 29 when it should be 26. I'm no heavy eater and I exercise regularly, but if I eat more than I should, I'll easily be in the obese range. My mom is obese, but she's at least taking some steps to manage her health, though she can do much more. I don't have anything against obese people myself, but I'll probably sigh if I have to sit next to one on the bus.
If you DO exercise regularly (e.g. weightlift) and have more muscle mass than usual... then your BMI may be just fine. Don't let doctors be lazy - the BMI is a statistical trend for large populations and doesn't take into account people who are more active than average.

You may not even be "eating more than you should" but you might want to look at WHAT you're eating. Strive for lower carb diet. If you want to knock off "crap" weight - keep it to around 150g a day.
Just keep tabs on your carb intake and watch out for 'hidden' carbs. Some carbs are better than others (e.g. beans/oatmeal/barley way better than cola/candy) because they're complex and take longer to break down (i.e. low glycemic).