Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-13, 16:38   Link #6514
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Driver killed taking recalled car to get tests

Quote:
A BRITISH pensioner driving his recalled Peugeot to a dealer for checks was killed when it shot into a busy road.

Frank Beer's semi-automatic 107 was one of 6000 due to have its accelerator pedals checked, The Sun reported.

The cars were made in a joint venture with Toyota — which is recalling millions of cars with faulty pedals.

Frank hit an oncoming Land Rover as he lurched on to the A30 in Launceston, Cornwall, on Wednesday.

The 83-year-old — town crier of the nearby town of Liskeard — died at the scene.

A 44-year-old woman in the other car had minor injuries.

Police are now checking the Peugeot's accelerator.

Frank's son Tim, a former cop, said: "While he was waiting to cross a fast road, his car moved forward twice.

"We want some answers. I want to know if the car my father was driving was faulty. The next fatal accident could involve a family."

All semi-automatic 107s — made alongside Toyotas at a factory in the Czech Republic — were recalled in February.

A Peugeot Citroen spokesman said none of the 3000 cars checked so far had faults.

He added: "We can't comment because we are awaiting police reports."
*gulp* and I liked the 107....