View Single Post
Old 2004-09-20, 01:22   Link #11
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Let's see if I can help you out. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, hell, my old PSX is rarely plugged in, and I just borrow my friends' PS2s for an extended period of time (one time was over a year). Note that some of these games may be for the PSX.

Genre: Active RPG
Reiselied: Ephemeral Fantasia
1 Player

This game was made around 2000, made by Konami. It has anime-styled characters (I guess), and the music is pretty good (it was billed as a "Musical RPG" ). You might find it tough to get into. I'll try not to spoil much, but in that game, don't get too worried about dying several times.
I have to warn you however that I have fallen asleep playing this game. The gameplay needs work, but it's still playable.

Genre: Arcade Racing
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
1-2 Players, VS. Mode.

Ok, this is a classic game for the PSX. Great music if you like a fusion of rock, electronica and some funk. Easy to learn, but the replay value isn't really there.

Genre: Arcade Racing
R: Racing Evolution
1-2 Players VS. Mode.

Ridge Racer's cousin. Not a bad game.

Genre: Simulation Racing
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec: The Real Driving Simulator
1-4 Players, VS. Mode (with I.Link)

I'm certain you've heard of this one, most people have. You should probably wait for GT4's release, but once it hits the shelves, GT3 should get cheaper.

Genre: Active RPG
Final Fantasy VIII
1 Player

I can't really say much about this one. My favourite Final Fantasy.

Genre: Action RPG
1 Player
Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve II

If you're into shooting neo-mitochondrion creatures, this is for you. Horror, Survival. I don't have much of a tolerance for horror games, so I actually found myself uncomfortable playing these games at midnight, all alone in my basement.

Genre: Fighting/Martial Arts
Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4
1-4 Players VS. Mode; 1-2 Players

At least try out Tag if you're into fighting games. It should be cheap these days. Replayability depends on whether people will actually verse you, and you/they aren't sore losers. I myself am bored of Tekken because no one will fight me anymore. I keep winning while they madly mash the buttons.

Genre: Arcade Flight
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
1-2 Players VS. Mode.

My favourite for when I want to blow some fighter jets out of the sky. Great musical score. VS. Mode isn't that great, so this is basically a 1 player game.

Genre: Golf
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
1-4 Players VS. Mode.

I was actually surprised at how good this game was. If you like to golf, you'll probably like this game too. An alternative is Hot Shots 3, which is more of an arcade golfer.

Genre: Action/War, Hack and Slash/Beat'em Up
Dynasty Warriors 4, Xtreme Legends, Samurai Warriors
1-2 Players VS. and Co-op.

Ah... there's nothing like conquering old China or Japan with a fan... or better yet, an umbrella (I'm serious). While not all the weapons used are outrageous, you might raise your eyebrows from time to time. I'd recommend playing with a friend. If you work well together it can be quite fun, and it's much easier to complete objectives with two players.

Genre: Wrestling Simulation
SmackDown!: Here Comes The Pain
1-6 Players VS. and Co-op.

Heh, I just felt like putting this one on the list. I doubt you'll even consider it. However, if you DO actually try this game out, you'd better have a multitap and 5 friends so you can duke it out.

Genre: Action
Grand Theft Auto 3 & Vice City
1 Player

A good game, but for me it got old fast. To spice things up, my friends and I inputted codes that made the game harder and timed eachother to see how long we could last (mainly codes like: Pedestrians Have Weapons, Pedestrians Attack You, Pedestrians Riot). Now THAT kept us entertained for a while.

Genre: Action/Espionage Simulation
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty and Substance.
1 Player

I don't think I need to say much about this one either.

Genre: Action/Mecha
Zone Of The Enders & Zone Of The Enders 2: The Second Runner
1-2 Players VS. Mode

Single player mode is what shines here. Not that this is a really remarkable game, but if you need a Gundam/Macross like fix, this may be able to quell you for a while. I'm pretty sure there is a PS2 Gundam game... but I don't think it's made it to North America.

I've run out of games to list. In my mind I know I've played and enjoyed way more games than this pitiful list, but it's been so long and I can't really recall most of it. Watching anime took priority over playing video games about a year ago.

Some that I have not played:

Genre: Horror/Survival
Fatal Frame & Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterflies.
1 Player

I want to try this game so bad, but I haven't been able to yet. I've heard it's pretty good.

I hope I helped. And I hoped on of those on the list causes you to waste 100+ hours of your life on video games .

Last edited by Timeless Enigma; 2004-09-21 at 12:51.
Timeless Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote