View Single Post
Old 2010-08-08, 03:11   Link #16
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Love... well, as most people have been saying, attraction at first sight and love at first sight are two things that are interchangeably mixed around. Love, is a very complex feeling, and that feeling is very gradual and dynamic, and it changes as the object of said love changes over the times, doing certain things, having certain personalities, and ect. Sure, you see one girl and treat her like she's nothing special. That doesn't mean that that's exactly going to be not meant to be something. She could secretly be the girl of your dreams, for all you know. You can see a girl that is probably the object of your tastes and attractions, and eventually get to learn that she's (pardon my French) a complete slut. And I happen to know this from experience, unfortunately.

In a nutshell, love can be very unpredictable, a dynamic and constantly moving entity, if you will. Can love at first sight exist? Yeah, I think there are times. Does that love often get mistaken for being simply attracted to certain qualities (and not restricted to physical attractiveness)? Of course. For me, it takes time to truly tell whether or not you love someone, or perhaps your heart skips a beat and you have a crush on someone. Love just takes time to realize. Feelings don't simply change overnight, or in a minute. That said, with passing of time, nothing in this world doesn't change.

Okay, I apologize for my lengthy speech on love...
I'm leaning more towards here, I beleive the concept exists and I've met couples past their 60's with marriages of 20+ years, who claim to have just known that:
'yes, he/she is the one for life for me, I want no one else'
Whether it's more a hindsight thing and they claim it 'love at first sight', or they knew with their gut instinct that to pursue with this person is gonna make them set of life, I can't tell, rather none of us can ever tell short of stepping into their bodies and minds.
But sometimes, when you know you've got something good going on and all it takes is the time to realise and make it apparent, then yeah, it's love, just as I see it, not in it's complete form.
The 'falling for them', sometimes can just be a tiny bud/seed of which it grows stronger and more steady as time goes on, rather than literally being bespelled and being drawn in, acting all dizzy and giddy. (more akin to lust, perhaps?)

However those over 60+ were born and raised in a completely different generation and time of communication and technology that was far limited than to what the youth of today are exposed to.
Since many of us under 25 seem to be 'clued up' on this deal, scientifically and all, then nowadays out of 'common practice' it would lean towards thevil1's definition of needing to know their mental and emotional aspects as well as their physical.

Any other aspects are more likely to fall into lust.
(Then again because me and Ledgem love challenging this aspect)
What about those who claim to be 'in love online' because they've got their mental and emotional aspects down pat and accept and adore the person for it.
Wouldn't that be just as shallow or does it hold more "weight" just because we tapped in beyond what we can see in their bodies.

Just something for pondering, my long ass novella answer for that is in one of the 'online relationship' threads, but in short, i find 'online love at first long chat' way more dangerous than 'offline'.

To round it back to question at hand,
Do I do think the concept exists and has been successful to a few lucky peeps over our course of history?
Yep.
Jealous as hell to those who know it from the start and still are with them for decades to come, no matter the bad or the good or how they both grow as people.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote