View Single Post
Old 2010-08-27, 16:29   Link #63
Itlandm
Porcupine

It looks like they are trying to make this arc into a different type of anime, a love comedy. (Not that the earlier two were completely free of humor, but no more so than life itself.)

I have a theory, unfortunately, of why this happens now. I think it is to draw attention away from the fact that Junichi basically is exploiting his position as senpai. I am not sure how strong that tradition is in Japan any longer, but from what I have learned, a senpai used to have a very strong position of respect in the past. So for instance the part about Junichi bringing Sae to his room and touching her stomach would hit a bit too close to sexual harassment if not framed by the utter ridiculousness of the narrator and other cheesy effects.

Junichi has always been a horndog, but he has never had the upper hand before. With Haruka he had to beg for attention, and Kaoru was at the very least his equal. Sae is not only his junior, she is painfully shy. Without intervention through the fourth wall, who knows what he might do.