View Single Post
Old 2010-09-02, 14:50   Link #357
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
I initially agreed with ICEheaven102's statement when I first watched K-On!. But as time went on, and I read the tons of articles out there just praising Mio's goddess status, I realized that there is no way Mio would get overshadowed in the end - and that would be the only reason people would hate her. :P
Other than the fact that she's practically terrified of her own shadow, has so little self-esteem and self-worth that she changes her first choice college just to be with her friends (two of whom selected the school out of sheer impulsiveness, because they just decided to go with whatever Mugi picked,) and having a best friend who is so completely her polar opposite she feels the need to regularly hit and act out toward said friend.

The only things really going for Mio are that she's tall, dark, and well-endowed.

I will, however, speculate that her popularity is derived from the fact that her traits probably make her more of an Everyman than her bandmates. Frankly, she exhibits many of the same traits that lonely, young, single, men (read: stereotypical otaku) do. She's not the tomboyish fireball that her best friend Ritsu is. She isn't an exotic rich chick like Mugi. She's not the dedicated musician that Azusa is. She's certainly not the charismatic savant hidden behind a facade of disarming idiocy that Yui is.