View Single Post
Old 2010-09-16, 22:59   Link #16199
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

CMHerrera- 8.6/10 Non anime sigs FTW!!!

Star beat me to it, but I feel like I still need to say this. I'll keep this short so as not to derail this thread.

@mute:You rated Kelisidina’s sig 5/10 for not having enough effects, or at least one’s that were visible. That is perfectly fine; a lot of people judge signatures by the effects and work that are put into them. I personally also take this into account when rating signatures. But it shouldn’t be the sole criteria for a signature. If I were to put every single effect into a signature, it would, without a doubt, look bad. Too many effects are bad for signatures, which is why signatures shouldn’t be judged by the effects that they contain in the first place. In order to get to the heart of the debate, we have to ask “What exactly makes a signature or a work of art good?” I personally think that it is aesthetic beauty. If art wasn’t able to impact people on some level, no matter how much time an artist put into a painting, and how many different techniques he uses, all of it goes to waste. That is why it doesn’t matter whether a person just crops an image or uses tons of effects in his signature. At the end of the day, whichever looks better is the better IMO. And I have seen cropped pictures that look better than signatures decked out with effects too. If a person is able to make a cropped signature look as good as one that has a lot of effects, why not do it? It saves a lot of time, but more importantly, provides a result of similar quality. Lastly, I’ll leave you with the quote “Simplicity is beauty, beauty is simplicity.” Art doesn’t need to be complex in order for it to be good or beautiful.