View Single Post
Old 2010-10-09, 03:07   Link #17935
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I disagree. You may be right that all the "bricks" existed, so to speak, to build the "wall" that is the solution. However, the "mortar" didn't exist, and to a certain extent still doesn't exist (or is a pasty substance we're told is mortar, but could actually be a wholly unsuitable product). And you can't build a wall without mortar. You can mix up your own batch, slather it on the bricks, and build a wall, but you're basically throwing together what you have and hoping your "mortar" mixes up well enough to hold up the wall. And as far as we know, there are several substances that will work to stick the bricks together in the shape of the wall as Ryukishi intended it.

But we don't know that one of those mixes is the "mortar" he intended to be used, if indeed he intended one to be used at all (which would be cheating if not, but...). It's a big difference between "you can arrive at a solution" and "you can arrive at the solution." There is no confirmation feedback like most classic mysteries. We can set up our wall, but we don't have the benefit of a hammer to test whether it actually holds up.

Metaphorically speaking, and I know this metaphor is belabored, we can lather together the bricks we got from ep1-4 into a thing that has the shape of a finished wall, but we have no idea whether what we've pasted it together with was the mortar (the "right answer") or peanut butter (a valid and non-disprovable, but wrong answer).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote