View Single Post
Old 2010-10-12, 05:45   Link #88
Undertaker

Volume 6 of the light novel ended in a cliffhanger in which Kirino asks Kyosuke to be her boyfriend. Nothing else is know other than it kind of out of the blue.

Therefore that preview for volume 7 sounds legit, but as larethian said, synopsis often misleading, there must be a reason for Kirino asking Kyosuke to be her "pretend" boyfriend, [not that she didn't want it to be reality anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
actually, I think that Kirino herself may be a stretch of reality that can challenge the suspension of disbelief of some people. To put it bluntly, she is a female otaku with "male taste", who plays 18+ eroge and is into imouto type of characters---simply because she finds them cute (this, from what I gather so far of the translated light novel; I don't know if there's a much deeper meaning behind her hobbies). her character doesn't exactly sound like someone you would expect to really exist; perhaps, I would have more readily accepted her character (or hobbies) had she turned out to be a fujoshi or a less "hardcore" otaku, who isn't necessarily into imouto type of characters. That's why, I think that the enjoyment of this work depends on how willing you are to accept Kirino as a character, or the situation her older brother currently faces as she tries to share her secret hobbies with him.

What I mean as "stretch of reality" is more or of say Nogizaka Haruka's Himitsu [similar work in turn of using Otaku world as setting and I also enjoy]. That series have tons of stuff where plenty of things and setting can't possibly happen in real life.

While it is unlikely a little sister will play Imouto games with her brother, it's not impossible. Kirino herself is more of plot device and necessity more than anything. On the other hand, there are girls that will play bishojo games and even 18+ eroge by themselves, and imouto types are actually more common for them due to the moe factor. Obviously you won't find any girl playing tenticles or rape eroges, but pure love-imouto games isn't too much of stretch for girls that like moe animes and plays bishojo game.

However, I'll agree with your assessment that to enjoy this work you have to like or at least interested in Kirino as a character afterall the story is revolving around her.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2010-10-12 at 06:03.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote