View Single Post
Old 2004-10-05, 13:56   Link #28
Aquillion

Alright, let's try to list all the really good shows from the past six years or so. Starred ones are debatable (or at least have significent disagreement); don't ask why they're debatable if you don't think they are. I've left out most of the pure adventure/action shows because they tend to appeal to a smaller audience, and because even the most highly-rated ones generally become almost forgotten once they're off the air. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with this list, and I can't include shows I haven't seen; but its length should serve as a decent guideline for calculating how many good shows come out in a year. I've tried to err on the side of caution and include only shows almost everyone will agree with.

Also, no movies; but if you included them, you'd have a Ghibli film at even intervals, which would only serve to normalize the distribution even further.

Now and Then, Here and There (?)
Kare Kano (1998)
Serial Experiments Lain (1998)
Cowboy Bebop (1998)
Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence (1999)
Infinite Ryvius (1999)
Boogiepop Phantom (2000)
Great Teacher Onizuka (2000)
Alien Nine (2001)
Haibane Renmei* (2002)
Azumanga Daioh (2002)
Juuni Kokki (2002)
Princess Tutu (2002)
Kino no Tabi ~the beautiful world~ (2003)
Texhnolyze* (2003)
Hitsuji no Uta* (2003)
Monster (2004)
Paranoia Agent (2004)

I'm sure there are some I missed, and others people will disagree with, but you get the general idea. Roughly twenty shows over the course of about six years, with around a fourth of those debatable for one reason or another; the overall distribution is pretty even. Around two to four really good shows a year. With Monster and Paranoia Agent alone, 2004 already has an average quota. If you didn't like one or both of those shows, you may see things differently; but there's no evidence to support a general decline.

It's also worth noting that two of the three shows I listed from 2003 (Texhnolyze and Hitsuji no Uta) are starred for being 'artsy'; and the third, Kino no Tabi, was probably underexposed. Plus, two of them were licensed early. If that made people miss them, then that might explain why so many people think anime is in decline.

Actually, the great majority of the really good shows in recent history have been licensed before they appeared significently on Animesuki. Thus, it may be true that the quality of Animesuki's anime has gone downhill in recent years; given that this is because US studios are getting better at recognizing good shows, that decline is probably a good thing.

Last edited by Aquillion; 2004-10-05 at 14:08.