View Single Post
Old 2010-10-15, 05:10   Link #63
Used Can

Popularity does not necessarily work that way, though. Sure, focus does affect some degree of popularity for some type of characters, but popularity tends not to change much when it comes down to MCs or some iconic characters, since those tend to have a set fanbase. Take for example, say... Hayate no Gotoku. There may be times in which Hinagiku doesn't receive much focus... yet, she'll always win the popularity polls by a landslide. Umineko is also much like this. Battler may not receive much focus and he still will be #1 in the polls. In fact, Ange, Rosa and Natsuhi would probably be a much better example than Battler, since, even if they barely get any focus or even if they do not even show up, they'll still be on top 5 on every single popularity poll. An even better example would be Negima, because Evangeline barely shows up, yet she tends to be in top 5 - usually on the first 3 spots. I think she was #1 in the last two polls.

Anyway, I don't think the popularity rankings in MM! will have any particular effect in in the outcome for Mio and Yūno and/or in the subsequent fan reaction, since both of them seem to be well received. Of course, it'd be a different story if Yūno was at the bottom of the popularity rankings and she won, but being #2 and with difference in votes which is not particularly large, I don't think there's any hindrance if the author decides to go for a Yūno end. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most fans were fine with either of them winning.