Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-23, 10:33   Link #9957
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
But the times are different, the last time China went to war was because that the PRC was newly founded, together with all the ideology conflict etc., its existence was threatened at that moment. After all, the Korean war was an war about ideology. Now it is different... Why does it want to start a war?
China won't start a war over North Korea, but it is no more likely to tolerate its invasion today than it was more than 50 years ago. It wasn't just ideology that drove Beijing to rescue Pyongyang during the Korean War, but also selfish national interest — China has no desire to see a democratic, and potentially hostile, country on its northeastern borders.

Quote:
The Chinese economy depends on exporting to the rest of the world, and it is a big lender to the US
I wonder, really. Even though I sympathise with China over some of the bad press it gets, I won't go so far as to fully believe Beijing's claim of a "peaceful" rise to power. When it comes to Taiwan, for example, I hardly doubt that Beijing would hesitate to use force to settle the issue, if others would force its hand.

Why else would it go so far as to acquire aircraft carriers if that plan is not already in the books?

Quote:
On the other hand, I doubt the US is willing to engage militarily either. Its economy is not in good shape, and its army exhausted in other two wars.
That's what Kim Jong Un is basing his calculation on.
Agreed.