View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 07:07   Link #8015
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
they are part of that world. Mikoto isn't.
You guys keep using the same "logic" for this ; why would Mikoto care what side is what?
When good writing is sacrificed to force characters on the sidelines, then it becomes not good writing.

Quote:
no, if anything, the plot hole here is Touma not waiting for Kuroko to come back to teleport Kazakiri to safety, and Kazakiri running off after him
Fyi, a plot hole is basically when inconsistency occurs to further the plot, i.e. Kuroko leaving a helpless civilian in danger to get a level 5 out of harm's way. Touma running off to the fight is not a plot hole; it's something he's been doing the entire series, hence not inconsistent. He's always jumping into fights that don't involve him.

Quote:
i agree with you. That said, do you actually think Mikoto should have fought Vento instead of listening to Touma and just do what he told her to do? (if so, you should go back and read that part again)
What reason does Mikoto have to listen to Touma and let him face the danger all alone? That is inconsistent with Mikoto's type of character, yet is constantly being forced to keep her out of the action. And no, I shouldn't have to go back and read it again.

Quote:
oh yeah, the railgun manga, when she was nearly killed by a much more experienced level 0 due to sheer difference in experience and tactics
erm, unless you're talking about Touma (who has Imagine Breaker and didn't actually use any tactics, but neither did Mikoto), then I have no idea who you're talking about; Mikoto never faced any Level 0s in the manga, let alone nearly get killed by one. Her worst fights were against Frenda and Mugino consecutively; fights that she won. (although admittedly she ran away when Mugino regained consciousness and came after her, but due in part to not needing to fight anymore)

Quote:
Mikoto is a genius(being a level 5), is very creative in the use of her power and is quick to adapt in battle. That said, she's still just a middle schooler. One of the main differences between her and the guys who usually help Touma, is that they are experienced "pros", while she isn't. They are also already involved in that stuff, while Mikoto isn't
Touma is only two years older than her and has handled plenty of fights by himself too. And Stiyl is Touma's age (15).........despite his appearance. Kaori is 18. Somehow I don't think age has much to do with it.

Quote:
you're kidding, right? You're saying the Amakusa who knew what they were fighting against, had ways to fight him and even developed a specific magic to kill him wouldn't fare better than Mikoto against Acqua?
Yeah, bad example and it was quite a bit off my point anyway, so let me just make a statement more to my point; Mikoto doesn't know about Acqua being super powerful, but even if she did, she wouldn't leave a battered and beaten Touma to go off and fight him alone, as far as she knew. Even if she knew he had help, she wouldn't just leave him in that shape. Just the same as with Touma; if he didn't have Imagine Breaker, would he still try to help people regardless of the danger? Absolutely.

Quote:
Teleport doesn't take more than a few seconds. To Kuroko, all 4 of them are helpess civilians she should bring to safety. And with exception of Touma whom she can't teleport, she planned to teleport all 3 girls out.
Irrelevant; priorities are priorities. You don't leave your bags out of sight in an airport for even a few seconds, and you don't leave civilians in harm's way for any longer than you can help; that means getting them out ASAP.
And to Kuroko, they were not all helpless; putting Touma aside since she knew she couldn't teleport him, Index and Hyouka were the helpless ones. Mikoto was a Level 5 Esper who had just earlier demonstrated, in front of Kuroko, that she can more than handle Sherry.

Quote:
so you think Mikoto, in a very emotional moment, simply respecting Touma's will is a forced plot hole to keep her away from the fight. I wholly disagree
I think Mikoto leaving the man she loves to go and face an opponent alone, while injured, is a forced plot hole. Absolutely. Positively. most definitely. Plot hole, bad writing, etc. Her being emotionally just means all the more that she'd give in to emotion and help him.

Quote:
it's not such a big plot hole, we know Touma's like that and Kazakiri is just a panicked girl who doesn't know what to do in that situation, her following after Touma instead of waiting for Kuroko really that forced...
Erm, I'm not talking that being a plot hole. (context ) The plot hole was Mikoto being teleported out instead of Hyouka, the (supposedly) helpless civilian. Which would mean that Kamachi would have had to think of a different way to reveal Hyouka's secret yes; but the part where Hyouka went after Touma isn't what I'm talking about, nor do I think it's a plot hole either.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2011-02-21 at 07:19.