View Single Post
Old 2011-04-30, 12:45   Link #606
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The third episode leads me to believe that maybe the show isn't entirely based solely on the premise of Jinta getting everyone together again for the finale. Considering the relative ease that most of them got together for this episode, it's seems more likely that simple broken bonds aren't the focus of the show, and neither is it Menma's wish. The third episode in fact seems to delve more deeply into each individual with Jinta as the starting point, but it's clear as day that each character has their own demons to deal with regarding Menma.

In a way it becomes something like an individualized study on how each person deals with the issue of death, and the aftereffects of such an event. From that, it seems to me that Menma's wish isn't simply getting her friends to reconnect, but finding a way to heal the wounds that have refused to close all these years.

Hmmm... Tomorrow's labor day so I should be able to expound on this.
I'm inclined to agree.

My initial thought after Episode 1 was that Menma's wish was simply to get the old gang back together. However, this has technically already been achieved with how Episode 3 ended.

As such, I think that Menma's wish is probably something different, and possibly more complex, than simply getting the old gang back together.

I also want to say that I feel that Episode 3 was the ideal follow-up to the first two episodes. As I wrote earlier on the thread, the first two episodes were just very solid, heartwarming, slice of life drama. A great narrative foundation to build on.

As such, I felt that the best way for Episode 3 to play out would be for it to perk things up just a little bit, and to be a little bit surprising, to make sure that the viewer didn't get too comfortable.

And having Poppo see "Menma", having Jinta attempt (but fail) to go back to school, and having the gang all get back together for a "Find Menma!" BBQ party was a great way to achieve this I think.

Now there's more to work off of when it comes to speculation and debate, particularly as it pertains to what exactly Menma's wish might be, as well as how exactly these characters feel about one another.

Episode 3 gives us a lot of characterization meat to dig into, and that's great to see.