View Single Post
Old 2011-05-14, 09:59   Link #99
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Again, how do you explain the fact that only Jinta can directly see and hear Menma? With all the nuances and emotions that come with visible facial expressions and speech, writing does not solve the problem that Menma cannot communicate directly to the other Super Peace Busters the same way she can talk to Jinta. Also, what if more drama arises and one of them is upset enough to leave? Do you expect them to wait for Menma with her grade school knowledge to finish writing soon enough to calm them down?

Poppo already assumes that ghost Menma exists. However, even he's showing now that he has a problem being unable to see or hear her. Do you think seeing an invisible force cook muffins or write will solve that problem?
All I was saying that based on what we've seen so far, it is possible to prove to the others that she is really there. It wouldn't solve everything, but it would make things a bit easier for them. Writing was just a random idea, a better way to communicate would be for Jinta to act as an interpreter; which is in fact exactly what he did in this episode, and in my opinion, it produced very positive results. Most of the gang seem to feel guilty over Menma's death, the simple fact of having her tell them she loves and they don't have anything to feel bad about would help them to some extent.

As you said though, the fact only Jinta can see her is an issue, but the cat is already out of the bag anyway. There's nothing they can do about that. Even Menma doesn't know why Jinta can only see her, and feels incredibly sad she can't interact with the others. Once again, if Jinta told her how she feels, I think it improve the situation a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
If it were that easy, wouldn't you think this phenomenon would have been discovered elsewhere ages ago? Or do you honestly believe Menma is the first of its kind? Like I said before, trying to use science to prove her existence is folly. For all we know, all the physical items she's been interacting with are only visible through the eyes of Jinta and us viewers. The door? Could have been the wind. Sense of weight? Maybe that's the extent of her ability to interact with the living world. It's not like she's dropping her actual physical weight on the person's shoulders. She. Is. Not. Real. Common sense doesn't apply.
Oh come on... what we've been shown so far leaves not doubt she can physically interact with the physcical world. Why do you wish to deny that so much? Honestly, I don't think they ever tried to mislead us about Menma's state of being. They made it clear in the very first episode, by having her knock the glass down.

Alright, how would you explain the muffins? Did somebody break into Jinta's house to make them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
What's more relevant, and frankly a brilliant move on their part, is that because we see Menma interact with various persons and items, she becomes more than a mere supernatural phenomenon. She becomes a real human character to us viewers, instead of a floating, gaseous, transparent, Casper-like substance that shouldn't have to abide by the laws of the physical world. It requires a level of suspension of disbelief, but to be honest, in a character-driven show, this style of execution works better than if she were able to move through walls, give off a glow and whatnot.

It's a matter of preference.
That I fully agree with. However, it still annoys me a little that each time Poppo asks her to do something, something conveniently happens to prevent her from attempting to do it...

Anyway, now that Jinta is starting to acknowledge the possiblity Menma is a ghost rather than a hallucination of his, he may start to do what I'd do (which is to make sure I'm not crazy).