View Single Post
Old 2011-05-21, 11:40   Link #117
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Usually a "familiar" means a spirit that helps a witch, often taking animal form. I see that it may also mean a human that serves under a vampire, but still a human nonetheless (example). Araragi instead is a full-fledged vampire. I think 眷属 means member of a vampire clan, belonging to the same family line. The right word in English for this escapes me.

Trying to search it on google, I found things like 夜の眷属の王・ヴァンパイアの女王. I think I heard it in movies. Children of the night, sons of the night, spawns of the night. Spawn of the devil. Maybe "spawn" would be the most correct translation.

Vampire Spawn are undead creatures that come into being when vampires slay mortals. Like their creators, spawn remain bound to their coffins and to the soil of their graves. Vampire spawn appear much as they did in life, although their features are often hardened, with a predatory look. (from a D&D wiki. I didn't find better).
Hmm....I see what you are trying to get at here. When I first tried to google it in Japanese it gave me "kin" but it made it sound like Kiss and Araragi were on the same level which they aren't. They have a master and servant relationship. When I tried it in Chinese it gave me "dependent" but it made it sound like Araragi needed Kiss in order to survive or something which isn't true. "Spawn" makes it sound like Araragi hatched from an alien egg. The reason why I said familiar is because its related to the monster genre. However, now that I think about it, it does relate more to the witch side of the genre. Hmm I think need to think more about this.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote