View Single Post
Old 2011-06-12, 12:40   Link #20
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I see nothing "mature" about an appalling lack of professionalism.

And that is what Ohana's mom is guilty of: A complete and utter lack of professionalism.
Professionalism means following the customs and mores of the profession. Satuski is in a shady magazine where writers are told to write either flattering or unflattering articles. Her job is akin to that of a paparazzi. There is nothing unprofessional about being a paparazzi as long as one follows the laws.

What you are saying is that you disagree with the profession she has chosen, not whether she is professional or not.

Quote:
And really it's not even so much about how she's affecting Ohana as it's about how she's affecting tourists, vacationers, and other people looking for honest, professional, knowledgeable advice on what Inns to stay at.
And that's her job. The higher-ups have ordered her to write an unflattering article.

Again, there is nothing unprofessional or unethical about what she has done. The only thing Satsuki is guilty of is putting her own career above her kid's happiness. She might be a bad parent, maybe. But she is not unprofessional.

Quote:
But yes, there are people like Ohana's mom in real life. That is realistic. And this anime is presenting them realistically. I don't think this anime is defending them, though. Quite the contrary, if anything.
I made no argument regarding whether this series takes any position on Satuski's profession. This is why I made a comment about how mature this episode is - it takes no position on the situation.

Quote:
And Satsuki's job isn't the excuse for every failing on her part. Why not get the right Christmas present for her young daughter for example? It can't take all that much effort to pick up a sticker book instead of a teddy bear.
If failing to get your child a right Christmas gift is considered a parental failure, then: 1. kids today are horribly spoiled; and 2. kids today need Satuski's brand of parenting where you get to learn to st!u.

Quote:
And some people will fight to change their job from the inside. Most of the workplace improvements of the 20th century came about not by fleeing for another job, or by easily accepting its more unacceptable aspects, but by reforming it from the inside.
I admire whistleblowers who put their conscience above all else. But I don't condemn anyone who lacks such courage. While doing so would give us a satisfying sense of smugness and self-righteousness, I personally won't make such judgments on others until I have gone through the same situation myself and have shown the same willingness to speak out.

Quote:
At least if she visited the place she could incorporate factual information into the review. Get some truth out there anyway.
There is no indication that Satuski's has the editorial freedom. You are supposing that she has more latitude than what has been presented in the episode.