View Single Post
Old 2011-06-13, 11:53   Link #37
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Something I find very, very odd...

Kanade is currently dominating ISML like nobody's business (last I checked anyway).

Yet she's nowhere to be found in that Top 100 list, or in any of this for that matter.

Just how is this possible?
ISML is an international event (Japanese voters are a strong minority if even voting in any numbers at all). 2ch-Saimoe would give a clearer picture of Kanade's popularity with Japanese otaku. She made it till the third round in 2010, that edition was won by Azusa from k-on. We will just have to wait to see how strong Kanade this year is in 2ch Saimoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is the otaku community in Japan really this fragmented?
That's a very interesting question. I suspect there are several anime watching groups that partially overlap and form a sort of patchwork. If you look at the anime magazines in Japan they have their own demographic/niche. A competion about "moe"-ness will be dominated by bishoujo characters. More general popularity contests will see more varation in characters, where also characters from popular shonen titles and bishonen anime will have a chance.

This is a (non-exhaustive) list of anime magazines, I'm not familiar with all of them so if anyone is more certain about their demographic target feel free to add or correct to the list. Websites of retailers give conflicting information.

Animage: general anime magazine, mostly info on daytime anime and the more popular late night anime, all ages
Animage original: general anime aimed at older audience then animage.
Animedia: similar to animage
Dengeki G's magazine:bishoujo magazine, all ages?
Dengeki Girl's Style: bishonen for girls, shoujo?
Megami Magazine: bishoujo magazine for seinen demographic
New type: general anime like animage but more mecha centric
Nyantype: bishoujo magazine aimed at seinen audience
Pash!: anime/cultural and seiyuu magazine for women, josei?
Terebi-kun: Mostly tokusatsu but also some anime, aimed at kodomo/elementary school age

It gets even more complicated if you bring in games, hobby/figure and manga magazines who all overlap in content and fans with the anime magazines.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote