View Single Post
Old 2011-06-13, 19:03   Link #35
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'm still sorting through my feelings and views, but I'm confused. I had assumed that anime (and video games) fell out of my life because I lacked the time for them. I took up another hobby that I could engage in, but occasionally give it a rest. Recently I've had time and wanted to give the other hobby a rest, so I returned to the hobby that I'd always engaged in (anime) only to find that it doesn't feel the way that it did. It's weird - it's not a case of moving on and having better things waiting, nor is it a case of actively feeling like anime isn't appealing. It feels like it should be appealing. It's a weird sensation, to realize that I may have changed to become incompatible with it, yet I don't really know why or outwardly feel it (or know what I'd prefer).
I understand this completely. I have this problem with both anime and video games. I think, in my case, I can still enjoy anime - but since it occupied a prominent position in my childhood it can never be as enjoyable as it once was. So even if the series seems sufficiently enjoyable, it simply isn't as engaging and this leads to feelings of disillusionment.

Additionally, I think many anime fans seem to have a 'honeymooner' period akin to the effect described when moving to a new country. As a mode of entertainment, it is different to the point of drawing more attention than familiar outlets (due to a combination of unusual animation, different cultural influences, and topics and genres anime/manga explore you might not find elsewhere). Thus, you end up consuming a disproportionate amount before adjusting and recognizing the flaws that were previously cloaked by the unique package. This, too, can be disillusioning.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote