View Single Post
Old 2011-06-22, 17:09   Link #64
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Firstly, I had already read the English wiki page. Secondly, did you read what I posted?

The reason I regard it as an East/West divide is because I went to a convention in Australia last year where they still predominantly used the term 'yaoi' rather than 'BL'. Most of the people I know who are actually aware of the term 'BL' are Asian or of Asian descent, and the main term used on the June manga website is still 'yaoi'.

Did you read the English wiki page properly?
Spoiler for tl;dr:

====

Basically, in terms of manga, yaoi/BL is predominantly aimed at female audiences (specifically, at fujoshi), and so is yuri, though a small proportion of yuri is aimed at male audiences.
Yes, I did. But your previous post stated that BL encompasses Yaoi and shōnen-ai, even though the latter is a Western convention which you said wasn't used by the Japanese. I'm also aware that Yaoi is generally for females and never said otherwise (disliking the facts and denying them are separate), while you said that most Yuri is for females and not shōnen or seinen, which contradicts the existence of Yuri Hime S. And all I said about Josei was that it is merely a demographic; age and maturity are not mutually inclusive and I never said Josei manga did not have a tendency to be more mature. Finally, I find it intriguing that you bring up a personal experience for the East/West divide while having also criticized the anecdotes of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That said, a lot of Otaku Bait "harem" shows would have similiarly narrow appeal, however I'd say the male Otaku demographic is a much more proven spender then the fujioshi side.
Interestingly enough, the sales figures for harem/ecchi shows are actually not that impressive. The highest profits seem to go to shows where the sensuality isn't really all that high, but I still have a hunch that the anime industry is male-centric regardless. Although, the manga side doesn't appear as skewed...
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote