View Single Post
Old 2011-06-22, 20:38   Link #69
coren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong in having different genre classifications for manga here compared to Japan. We each come from differing perspectives.

I think it's generally considered (in the west) that Yaoi is explicit BL, and Yuri is explicit GL.

What I'd like to consider more is Yuri. A lot of people here think that Yuri is a more female oriented genre. I've always felt that Yuri (and Girl's Love) is more heavily male. Though it is true the roots of Yuri lie in Shoujo works like Rose of Versailles, I've always thought that the greater part of it these days is aimed at guys. Similiar to how Moe (as a very male thing) also has much of it's roots in Shoujo. But maybe I'm wrong here.

If there is actually "male oriented" and "female oriented" Yuri, what's the main difference between the two?
It's not as straight forward as dividing them into male and female oriented yuri, it also depends on what type of male/female audience it's aimed at.

For example, shoujo magazines with mostly hetero stories (very) occasionally have yuri stories, which are generally notable for one or both of the girls having a troubled childhood and/or a mental illness, and often though not always having a tragic ending. Also, male characters are far more likely to feature as supporting characters than in other types of yuri.

These are different than the kind of stories you'd read in a magazine aimed at lesbian women, or in one targeted specifically at yuri fans.
coren is offline   Reply With Quote