View Single Post
Old 2011-07-03, 03:11   Link #48
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Alternate character interpretation is always welcome. You're not the only one who sees her as traumatized and understand her behavior based upon that--there are other readers who have expressed the same opinion.

I have done my best to avoid Mary Suedom with any of my characters, though I may have failed to prevent Rin from becoming a Moery Sue. It's easy to understand Alisa's point of view, even though it's largely illogical. What she does is "weird" but not necessarily "bad." Further reading will tell you that--the AIs are not commonly developed to Rin's level because it requires a lot of effort and it's not always successful at increasing the pilot's operational efficiency. What Alisa did with Rin is something of an anomaly, both behaviorally and from a technical standpoint... but if it could be exploited... that's an interesting question, there.

As to your rant, I see your point It wasn't my intention to make it appear as if the military expects females to drop out of active duty just to have children. I was only trying to highlight the issue that puts Alisa in bad odor--it's not Rin's expressed gender and Alisa's obvious attraction to girls that's the issue here, but the fact that she's not attracted to someone that can produce offspring. It's less "being gay is bad" and more "being attached to what most everyone considers a very smart computer, and avoiding contact with other humans, is bad."

Which, in a way, it is bad, but nobody is expecting their frontline troops--especially not Alisa, who has more confirmed kills than any other two pilots put together--to stop killing the Gray to go be a mother. What's expected is that female soldiers bear children after their service is ended, and it's wink-wink-nudge-nudge if they get pregnant while in service. The Alliance will take care of them if it happens, by moving them out of a combat position and giving them a regular nine-to-five job so they can raise a family.

I appreciate the feedback! I really wish I could get more feedback, to be honest. While praise and accolades are nice, it's criticism that helps me make this story better. This is very beta version stuff here, and the complete project will look very different I'm sure. You fine folks are just my beta testers, so please, give me more feedback.