View Single Post
Old 2011-07-05, 08:00   Link #23
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Well I think for new hires they don't expect you to know everything. Furthermore, when you know one graphics package (autoCAD) and one maths package (MATLAB), it's not so difficult to learn the rest. The programming thing is obviously more tricky. But I'd say you'd have a very good chance at any engineering position, provided it's entry level, and entry level engineering jobs are quite plentiful.
Depends on the employer during bad economic times or market stagnation like now. Most employers now look for people with work experience instead of degrees because they didn't want to waste time training newbies on the job, they would prefer people who are just as good.

Oh yes, when going to interviews, answer the questions with your heart and mind. Don't follow all those "prebuilt answers" given by HR consultants, I had a friend who works as an interviewer who says that he won't hesitate to drop candidates' resumes into the bin if they give more than 25% worth of prebuilt answers - simply shows that they are shirkers because most of those answers are designed to avoid sensitive issues from being discussed.

Quote:
The one job sector where there's no shortage of jobs is Engineering. Provided you have a degree, there's no shortage of positions. Of course a lot of students go through the degree and are sick of it by the end.

Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the engineering openings may require you to move. For instance certain areas like Australia and Canada have major shortages, while others not so much.

I'd say you're more likely to get cash (and substantial amounts at that) working in Engineering then Finances. Though there's no harm in maintaining an investment portfolio as well...
It is a problem payroll wise though, but having a job is better than having none. Another sector which has alot of openings is security consultancy, but that would mean you have to be ex-armed forces or ex-police, and they usually take in people with Special Forces or QRF (Rangers, domestic CT like SWAT or YAMAM) background.

But I wouldn't suggest to go into security though. Most of those ex-army or ex-police who are released due to age, then joined have some form of work illness - a state of OCD which makes them unusually sharp-minded and sharp-eyed as compared to a normal person on the streets; they can see alot of things about people and premises most normal people couldn't.

Stick to Engineering. I wish I did engineering instead of Econs and Finances, but since I am working towards financial freedom so I can do whatever I want, a portfolio is worth much more than a degree to me.

And a portfolio of previous works is always better - I wish I kept a file of it when I was doing freelance in the early days of the Internet revolution (2000-2004).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote