Thread: Nintendo 3DS
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-07, 07:35   Link #838
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Most people consider those who bough the original 1st gen DS to be stuck with an ugly piece of plastic after the re-design.

This is not news. You can't expect any electrical hardware to stay up to date forever. My laptop was brand new Jan 2010, but it now can't run ANY new PC games. This is just a fact of life.

The only question is are you willing to wait for the upgrade. And how long are you willing to wait; because there is no point waiting for the next improvement if you want to play games today.

The problem with 3DS of course, is that there is a lack of "must have" titles that made more people willing to make the leap. People ARE waiting for the next hardware upgrade because there isn't anything they desperately want to play. And if their desired game is, say, two years away from release, then they might as well wait for those two years before buying a 3DS. By then, the old 3DS would be much cheaper and the next upgrade would be available. And they would not miss any game time at all either.
While I mostly agree with your assessment, I disagree that people will waiting that long. With the Monster Hunter announcement, the 3DS now has a killer Winter 2011 lineup in Japan that also includes Mario Kart, Inazuma Eleven, and Super Mario that's going to eclipse anything else that comes out on other platforms, Vita included.

I don't see that attachment as a precursor to the 3DS's next revision (although I do believe that dual sticks will be on that), but rather as a mere tool to encourage users to switch over to the 3DS without having to sacrifice much control. Since it's an optional add-on for the device, I doubt that it's going to be really heavily pushed.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote