Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-16, 13:38   Link #16570
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Aye, the famine was created by a combination of potato blight, and a rigid adherence to free market economics by britain. Britain's attitude was that the market would take care of the problem, and that the Irish had brought it on themselves due to their own laziness, in fact the administrator of relief, Trevalyan, said: "the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson".
Opinions haven't changed much since then, at least on the right here in the US. Trevelyan's remark in particular reminds me of this recent comment from Republican presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachmann
"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."
It takes a special view about the nature of God to think he/she/it/whatever is concerned about the US budget deficit. What do you suppose that God might think about the Republican debate attendees who agreed we should let uninsured patients die rather than provide decent health care for all?