View Single Post
Old 2011-10-08, 07:52   Link #603
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral
On a different matter, Joe7133 has pointed out on MH forums a rather serious plot-hole. Most of you probably recall that Noel and Sophia (#4 and 5) didn't know about ABs, so how does Yagi explain that in every other generation we know AB hunts were common? It looks like Elandyll is right and Yagi makes things up as they go and later tries to patch up holes that were result of it (like with father Vincent performing a first aid on Clare or indestructible swords and Miria's stupid assumption that they can't be made on the island).

In a way, this was always a given - we know their is a degree of things being planned-out and purpose in the things he does (and thank god for that); otherwise this story would be like every other story and full of characters, and things that we only see once and have no real reason for being there.

That said though, it's definitely also how you say in that he tries to patch things up he did in the past with new data (which often has messy consequences) - It could be that he deliberately actually has planned out everything and has only made it appear like he hasn't yet for our sake and for the sake of speculation (like if we get a chapter that doesn't make sense, but he has all the answers, but simply hasn't given them yet)...but I feel that it isn't like that because, as you say, sometimes new data does not mix well at all with the old. Maybe we just haven't speculated or rationalized it the right way yet, but for that, I feel we would need his own personal help to explain things.

Really, personally....I'm not sure. I feel it may be, as you say, half-way...where he does plan certain things out, but he also comes up with things on the spot. That's it necessarily a bad thing to work like that (not what I recommend though), or to at least keep yourself open to new ideas you come up with overtime rather then just following this rigid outline...still, it's a problem, as we said, when new data conflicts with old data and it's hard to say if we're in the wrong for not thinking on it correctly, or maybe Yagi is for the making the conflict.

And then of course, their's other things like the economy, or babies where, he hasn't commented on much yet or perhaps has no intention ever (too complicated, simply hasn't done it yet etc)...I think it's easy to make the mistake that, with how logical and well-kept this story is, to think Yagi is like this super-computer who has all the answers and/or makes no mistakes...in a way, I almost wish he were like that except their's too much I think saying otherwise -- that, for how he does the work, and how consistent it's been in many ways, that he's undeniably far from perfect and we do occasionally run into things where, it's not our fault for not thinking of it right, but his for making it so in the first place; for, perhaps, not thinking as clearly as we are.

I mean really, do you sometimes get the impression that we think more on stuff then he does? I sure do...It honestly makes me wish to never read interviews or learn more information about the man himself, and how he really does write the story, because It may make me change my perception of it in a not-so-good way and I don't want that.

Oh well.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2011-10-25 at 09:41.