Thread: Question 'Today's Posts' redundant?
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-20, 01:19   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
I don't think this is much of a problem at all, but what's the difference between them anyway? Today's Posts show the most recent thread with a post in it, and New Posts just show the same thing excluding ones you've already read?
Yeah, basically "Today's Posts" is all threads that have had a new post within the last 24 hours, and "New Posts" is all threads that contains posts you haven't read (within the cut-off window, which is a few weeks). Once you read a thread, it will disappear from "New Posts" but stay in "Today's Posts" as long as it's been updated within the last 24 hours.

(And, no matter how you look at it, "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" are both slightly inaccurate titles, since it lists threads, and "today" is not a rolling 24-hour block...)

I guess the only reason I can think of for wanting "Today's Posts" (and it's a bit of a stretch) is if you want to go back and look for a thread you read or commented in within the last day and hasn't had any new posts since. Sort of like "what was that thread I read again?" That's a pretty niche use case, though... for most other purposes, I would think that "New Posts" would be better (unless you just don't care about anything "old").

The other thing I guess I can say from a technical perspective is that the option to remember which specific threads/posts you've read (and to what point) hasn't always been around in vBulletin, and it's even something you can turn off (because it adds a bit of load and a bunch of extra data to the database). So it's possible that "Today's Posts" was the old version of "New Posts" before they had this thread-tracking in place (or for people who don't use it).