Thread: New codec
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-06, 09:20   Link #16
lamer_de

- More supported advanced audio codecs, saving bitrate
AAC works with avi, ditto DTS. Don't know of any other advanced audio codecs. Maybe ogg (which indeed does not work with avi), but that seems to be optimised for low bitrates.

- Less muxing overhead. Yes, sometimes muxing an avi with the same audio file is smaller in mkv than in native avi. I kid you not.
While I have not tested this myself extensively, savings should probably range in the 100KBs for a file with 1 video and 1 audio stream of 24mins length. Neglectable, if you ask me.

- Soft subtitle support. Once mkv makes its way, fansubbers can skip on the quality-lossy video recompression to hardsub their tracks.
Possible in avi as well with AviMux-gui and vsfilter. Also, nobody wants to distro 350MB files for 20mins of a/v. Or 150MB noisy ones. The main point of encodig is not to add subs, but to deliver pleasing looking video at reasonable filesizes. Those points do not apply to most of the raws, so you'd still have to re-encode.

- Multilanguage subtitle support
Neglectable. For most languages with sufficient interest, subbing scenes already do exist (.fr, .br, .de, .it to name a few)

- All other mkv container advantages, like chapters etc.
I will give you that, although I don't see the point. The only chapter markings that make sense are OP/Eyecatch/ED and well, I never felt the urge to jump to those points directly.

If you want to use another container, use .mp4 :P

CU,
lamer_de