View Single Post
Old 2011-11-16, 20:01   Link #847
Nixl

Sorry, I should not have hit submit before I edited in that one sentence. I do not think it makes a bad character, but personally I have just seen it so many times that I was not so emotionally caught up with the character.

If I had never seen the Professional and numerous other stories that have the same archetype then I probably would have though Teresa was hot shit and awesome.

Ninja reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore! View Post

Well i have not seen that exact circumstance very often. so i don't think it is overused. That is like saying that the "good guy wins, bad guy loses" theme is overused. I mean who really wants a story where all the good guys die?

As for priscilla, she is the antagonist of the story now.
Perhaps, but there are ways to use old themes and archetypes win new ways or at least twist them. For Claymore, I feel like Teresa dying at the last second for not paying attention even though she won was a good twist. She did not win nor did she die in a blaze of glory in order to save a bus full of kittens. She died due to a dirty trick. It threw my expectations out the window and I enjoyed it.

Also, I realize that Priscilla is the antagonist, but what I mean to say is that she appeared similar to young idealistic justice driven protagonists in other manga/shows, etc yet she becomes the villain. Furthermore, Priscilla pulls out random hidden power that is suppressed within her to win. It sounds like a protagonist from another manga with the twist that she is the villain. Claire on the other-hand is not so much concerned with justice as her priority, but rather revenge. In addition, she has suffered for every bit of power and for the moment she is not pulling out hidden powers (yet...).

There are ways to redefine old archetypes. I did not feel as though Teresa really set herself apart from other counter-parts in the archetype. What made the difference is not only that she died, but how she died. It was not a happy ending and it most certainly was not a blaze of glory.

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-11-16 at 20:26.