View Single Post
Old 2011-11-27, 19:30   Link #132
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
The problem isn't that people aren't buying stuff that they want. It's that certain fans will buy anything that has a few of their favorite elements in it, and so adding those things attracts more customers, and so those of us who don't care for that stuff are left in the cold.

The only solution is to refuse to buy stuff in your favorite genre that has been polluted by the crap you don't like.
I know you're frustrated, but I think this sort of attitude is a bit bigoted, and does little to mask the contempt you appear to have for not just these elements, but for the fans that enjoy them. And besides, I don't think it's as simple as just adding fanservice and things sell; a lot of shows containing these elements fail to sell as well. So I think the entire package is important, and customers are more discerning than you think (even if you don't agree with their tastes).

At the end of the day, in this consumer-driven market, "not buying" is like not existing, so I do still think it's important for people to go out of their way to buy shows that "do things right" according to them. If you only stop buying shows as a "protest vote", it might as well be taken as though you don't like any aspect of the show.

(And yes, I did think afterwards that the Evangelion reference had more to it than I intended. I was mostly just thinking of the next episode previews that called out "service! service!" all the time. That's still the definition I was thinking of, even though you're right that it might have been an irony in that particular show.)