View Single Post
Old 2011-12-11, 20:21   Link #199
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
Indeed, and I thought to make that point too but it didn't come out quite as well. I wonder if Saber viewed the Church as tyrannical? Her ideals are certainly based on their teachings without the intent on power and control. I wonder if she ever really noticed the dichotomy?
I'm no expert on the Arthur cycles myself, but I believe they have their origins around the 6th century CE or so. Aka, the very early middle ages. During that time, the Roman and other pagan gods would've still been worshipped in many parts of the country, despite whatever disapproval the still relatively young church might've had. I mean, Christianity was still spreading through Europe, missionaries still doing their thing in Britain, all the initial legwork, basically, was still going on. I doubt the church was yet as far-reaching as in, say, Dante Alighieri's time.

My point being, I'm not sure how high up on an Arthur's priorities the church would've been, with all those invading Saxons to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
I think you're exactly right. Iskander caused Saber to BSOD not because his proof of kingship (hence his philosophy) was objectively better but because it's the one thing that she felt was most lacking in her own.

After all, she didn't give a damn about Gil's philosophy and proof of kingship - owning all the crap in the world.
Hah, yes Gilgamesh came off looking quite simple in his philosophy from their conversation.

It's essentially just "All your stuff are belong to me"
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote